Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Would you like duct tape with that?

The kids are on Christmas overload. I think the lights hypnotize them and make them slightly kooky. I have had to move the nativity set collections to a high shelf because I got tired of telling Georgia that baby Jesus cannot play with Barbie or go for a ride on a tractor. The house is looking pretty festive, the tree is decorated, and the presents are under the tree. Make that WERE under the tree. Now there is just an empty void and a tree skirt under its branches. I now have a hall closet stacked with wrapped packages, which is as safe place (at the moment) since Brody cannot yet turn door knobs. He started by innocently poking at the boxes and progressed to ripping at the paper and quickly glancing around the room to see if anyone was watching. Of course the sound of tearing paper does seem to get one's attention. As does your other child making that "Uuhhmmmm" sound. As in "Uuhhmmmm Mom, Brody is tearing all the presents!"
I later found him climbing on a homemade "gift box ladder" to reach an ornament on the tree that caught his eye. My little construction expert was standing on the top of three boxes and flashed that killer smile of his as soon as he saw me. I thought that I was being intelligent by shoving the larger boxes behind the tree, but one should never underestimate the willpower of a toddler. There he was, not five minutes later showing off his jumping/dancing skills on a box that was particularly bouncy. I think he waits for me to do laundry or load the dishwasher and then makes his move.
So I patched the holes and wondered if I should pick up some duct tape in holiday colors in case the damage becomes more extensive. There are still 19 days until Christmas and I don't know if the wrapping paper will make it. I swear I saw him studying a door knob this afternoon.

No comments: