Sunday, May 11, 2008

Pancakes, Cubs and the Cold on Mother's Day



Mother's Day was both good and interesting this year.

The Good:
I received a cute poem from Georgia and a flower hand print from Brody. We were continuing our little trip up to Chicago and had an awesome breakfast at this little hole in the wall place in Lincoln Park/Wrigleyville called Orange With A Peel. They had crazy things like Green Eggs and Ham (with this oh so good pesto), Fruity Pebble Pancakes for kids, ginormous regular pancakes and all sorts of strange mixtures. I had the Pancake Flight which is four different kinds of silver dollar pancakes that are tied together with a theme. Mother's Day was : Clean Your Room, Eat Your Veggies, You Are Just Like Your Father, and An Apple A Day.




The Interesting:
We rode the "El" since that was one of the things on my brother's "to do in Chicago" list. Brody absolutely loved the jerkiness of the ride. Our other plan for Sunday was to take in a Cubs game since we had not had the occasion to check out Wrigley Field.


Being an Astros fan, I am used to not really worrying about the weather during baseball games. Our ballpark has a retractable roof, so rain and temperature are not an issue. I should know by now not to count on weather holding in the Midwest, so of course it turned FRIGID, started raining and blowing this wicked, howling wind that cut right into your bones. THIS IS MID-MAY PEOPLE!!! We did have the sense to bring coats, but it was not enough. We stayed down where it was warm until the start of the first inning and left sometime in the fourth. The kids were troopers, but they were wrapped up in a $50 Cubs blanket that we had to buy or just leave.
My legs were cramped with the cold ( I know, whine, whine you Texan) and I was kind of bummed to later find out that Tony Romo (GO COWBOYS!) threw out the first pitch and we missed it. Oh well, we now have an Illinois souvenir to keep in the linen closet for all time. And I got a free pink Cubs cap for Mother's Day at the gate.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh my goodness, people don't know what cold is until they go to Chicago.....We saw people in shorts and no shirts!!! Rain, Wind or Shine, I had an awesome time...I love you guys

Uncle Drew