Thursday, August 7, 2008

With a Cluck, Cluck Here....

Brody talking to the Donkey

Brody and I attended a field trip with my mom's group to a farm that is run by our local park district. All the kids had a blast checking out the various animals. Brody was especially interested in the baby chickens, the donkey and the pigs.

Show me how the piggies eat!

We have visited several times and he never gets tired of it. He did spend extra time with the chickens. The little white puff balls that were there in May had grown a little and now sported bright red combs on top of their heads. I knew there were questions coming as he squated, looking at them for several minutes.

Contemplating Chicken Combs
Brody: Are those queen chickens?

Mom: Queens? No.

Brody: They have crowns. Red crowns.

Mom: No, that is how you can see that they are little roosters. The girls don't have the red crown. It is called a comb.

(pause)

Brody: They can't comb their hair with that.

Mom: Nope.

I did think about continuing the conversation as to why chickens don't have hair, as Honey would do when I was growing up. Ever the biology teacher, I always got these great scientific explanations from my mom that stay with me. It is one of the reasons why I do well at trivia and look like a dork for knowing a little bit about everything. I sometimes think people believe that I read the Encyclopedia Brittanica as a kid.

No comments: