Friday, July 4, 2008

Seattle Fourth of July


We flew into Seattle to start our vacation and met up with Honey and G.P. at the airport shortly after. There was a small hiccup when the golf clubs did not arrive with the rest of our luggage at the baggage claim. I saw Chris' face and could see our vacation going right into the toilet before it ever got started. He has this little "thundercloud" looking expression that he passed on to our children. Thankfully, they were placed with the over sized bags. Whew!

The weather was wonderfully cool and Seattle is a really neat, slightly funky city--of course we did not see any of its famous rain! After riding a ferry boat across Elliott Bay, we had some pretty good fish and shrimp at this little hole in the wall place on the dock. The kids had never been on a boat before, so it was a highlight for them.
We roamed around the Space Needle after dinner while I tried to figure out what location would give us a good vantage point for the fireworks but not be too crowded. After reading in this travel book about an overlook with panoramic views of the city, and seeing that it was just six blocks away, we headed out. Of course my map had no topography on it and the last two blocks were seemingly straight up (Flashbacks from San Francisco). It was a difficult climb and I am fairly certain that all of our party was ticked at me...some vocalizing it, some not, some not having caught their breath enough to curse me out.
Of course we had to wait another hour for it to get dark..9:50 pm! Thankfully, I come prepared with glow sticks. Brody had a a good time playing "light sabres" with Honey.
The fireworks were beautiful. The climb down the hill was my punishment....my knee did not thank me.

No comments: